Welcome to V A U L T G I R L, you will mostly find reviews, thoughts on life, and other junk. This isn't the most interesting blog, but I hope you stick around!
- Autum.

# Book Review: Whipser Cape by Regan Walsh/Susan Griscom
Friday, January 25, 2013 / permalink



 Escape to a world where the impossible becomes possible. WHISPER CAPE is a town of secrets and Addison MacKenna soon becomes tangled in a web of them. Plagued with nightmares of her father’s sudden and brutal death, Addie struggles with her anguish and refuses to believe his demise was accidental. 


I didn't ever want to do this review because I actually did the cover for this book. I didn't want to say anything harsh, but the more  think about it, the more I owe it to myself. I don't want to feel like I copped out  because I cared what other people thought. SOoOoo... I started this book for the main reason that I did the cover. Then I put it down. Then I picked up. Then I put it down. Are we getting a picture of this? I have read really good reviews about the book, but by god I can't think of why. I read the first 3 chapters. The main character Addison just talks to herself like a complete nut-job. I mean balls out talks to herself.

This is in the first 5 sentences of the book.

Nightmares suck.
Addie put her face in her hands, rubbing her tired eyes.
"Recurring ones suck more," she grumbled and resumed her unskilled search on the internet.
Gritting her teeth at the annoying hum of the old laptop, Addie tapped on the keyboard, one finger at a time, thinking the sound might be enough to drive her insane. "Come on, don't die on me now." She stroked the lid, the gentle motion softening the hum to a silky purr. "Hmm, that's it, hold steady old girl, hold steady," as if the machine could actually hear her. "Atta girl, I must have the magic touch."



Who on earth talks to themselves like that? I don't know if this is just bad writing or what. I am not a writer and I could think of at least 4 different ways to reword this paragraph to not make the main character sound like a weirdo. She just keeps talking out loud. I couldn't even concentrate because this was so annoying. It was the first time I started reading a book and actually felt like I was reading a book. As far as I have read, which isn't very far, it reads more like a play.. a badly written play. One thing I can say, is the author has quite a grasp on imagery. She paints the scenery very well.









Labels: ,

comments powered by Disqus